Saturday, April 25, 2009

Report: What I Did on My Spring Vacation

Well it was school vacation week in MA. We spent a wonderful week. See if you can spot the things we did not do during the vacation:
A. Spend the afternoon plein air painting in the gardens of Blythewald, in Bristol, RI.
B. Learn the fine, yet messy art of taxidermy at a special children's seminar offered by our local children's museum.
C. Construct an elaborate full scale educational diorama about child labor conditions in the 1920's.
D. Take in the sights at the new (to me) MoMA.
E. Dress my children up as 16-year-olds and hunt for 1920's-esque factory jobs with poor conditions and long hours.
F. Get to hear my three year old publicly utter the words: "Look Mumma, I found another Rothko!"
G. Enroll aforementioned 3 yr. old in rodeo clown school.
H. Get to hear my three year old publicly utter the words: "Look Mumma I'm a frog that poops!" as she hopped precariously close to the (gristly) Woman With Her Throat Cut sculpture by Giacometti.
I. Shop for Manolo Blahniks with the money earned from 1920's-esque children's factory jobs.
J. Enter 8 yr. old in the Jon Benet junior bathing beauty pageant.
K. Get to see Spring Awakening (w/out kids) in Providence.
L. Go for a beautiful nature walk with May-May in South County, RI.

Any cool images seen on BK are derived from talented relatives.

Any cool images seen on BK are derived from talented relatives.



Answers: Activities B, C, E, G, I and J did not actually take place on this vacation. I am not ruling anything out for future sojourns however.

OK I brought home a little mandatory fun for you. Just to let you know I am one of those rare people who just does not like musicals. But Blicky is declaring Spring Awakening fan-flippin-tastic:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

MuseSwings said...

Me too!

I don't know.... those factory jobs for kids... much cheaper than day care.... And the taxidermy is something to fall back on when their MBA's get them jobs as manager in training of a Dollar Store.

Shawn said...

Aw, man, I was getting ready to offer you cash for the diorama. Oh well, maybe next time.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

When I saw Spring Awakening (on Broadway, before it won Tonys), I fell in love. I'm not big on musicals, nor am I normally easily moved by a show, but this one gave me goosebumps, I laughed, I cried. I ran out and bought the soundtrack. I regret not seeing it a 2nd time when I had the chance and I think it stopped playing in New York.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Sounds like a good vacation! (Even if you did miss a few planned activities.)

Margo said...

Not to worry - There's still beaucoup de time left for you to profitably exploit your children! But be sure to get your daughter in the pageants soon. We start at 6 mos. here in the Bible belt! Sounds like you had a great trip :)