Saturday, July 26, 2008

Odes to Summer

Here's a link to Vivaldi's Summer (scroll down and click on movement 2 for the nice adagio) just in case you want to hear a snippet while you read. I know, we've all heard plenty of Four seasons but it's lovely nonetheless. If you prefer, here's the best summer song ever: The Specials, Too Hot.
















For your summer enjoyment:
Colorful Southern Phrases For The Inept And Nerdy Northerner To Describe The Hot Weather:
  • It's hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch.
  • It's so hot, the trees are bribing the dogs.
  • It's hotter than a two dollar pistol.
  • It's hotter than butter on a biscuit.
  • It's so hot the hens are laying hard-boiled eggs.
  • It's so hot you could pull a baked potato right out of the ground.















Bad Southern Sayings Which Were Too Awkward And Just Didn't Make The Cut (with apologies to Wendy Molyneux)
  • It's so hot, my thumbs slipped out of my armpits.
  • It's hotter than my gun barrel at the fishing hole.
  • It's hotter than my six-year-old at her beauty pageant.
Feel free to add your own.
















And finally here's a certain two-year old kitten's version of summer bliss. Does it count as haiku if she doesn't get the meter counts right?

I like the sun,
I close my eyes,
And the sun be's on my eyes.